sudden love for macaroon… 🙂
and, here’s the recipe… :
- 125g ground almonds
- 250g icing sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 8g sachet dried egg white powder
- 30g caster sugar
- Few drops of pink food colouring
For the filling:
- 100g plain chocolate, broken up
- 50g butter
- 142ml carton double cream
- 1. Line 2-3 large baking trays with baking paper. Mix the ground almonds and icing sugar together in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and egg powder together to stiff peaks. Gradually whisk the caster sugar into the egg mixture until thick and glossy. Using a large slotted spoon, fold in the almond
- and icing sugar mixture and the food colouring, until combined and evenly coloured.
- Put the mixture into a disposable piping bag and snip off the end so that you have a hole about 1cm wide. Pipe small rounds, about 4cm in diameter onto the baking sheets, spaced apart. You should get about 40. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow a crust to form on each.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Bake the macaroons for 5 minutes or until the underside is set. Carefully turn each macaroon over and bake for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, put the chocolate and butter in a small pan over a low heat. Gently melt, then stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. In a bowl, whisk the cream to soft peaks. Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Lift the macaroons from the paper and spread half with the chocolate mixture. Sandwich together with the remaining macaroons to make about 20. Allow to firm up for 1 hour before serving. Eat within a couple of hours.
(recipe taken from :http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/macaroons)